Sunday 28 August 2011

Hari Raya Greeting Cards


I guess I'm lucky to live in a multicultural Indonesia. I'm pretty proud of this subject. I get to spend a lot of holidays. Chinese New Year, Easter, Christmas, Halloween .. We had no sobbing hard day of St. Patrick. And this is the time of year, the Hari Raya Idul Fitri Muslim or a Muslim or New Year's Eve. I am not a Muslim myself, but like everyone else I represented Indonesia Lebaran ketupat and Opora ayam (rice cake is the pot and braised chicken in coconut milk, a little 'as eggnog for Christmas and the Thanksgiving Day Turkey, really tasty: P)

I receive many orders for Hari Raya greeting cards and tags too. But I cracked. As I am not Muslim, I tried to honor the occasion with a traditional design with green diamond pattern. Because I know of no better way to portrait this holiday. This client of mine said she was not really satisfied. And I asked, "Why I thought I used the green to capture the spirit of Fitri?" And she said, "Yeah, yeah, I do not really worry about all that I want a modern design."

I laughed at myself. It 's almost amazing how we always described as "vacation" that "traditional" or "old." You know, hot flushes fat Santa Norman Rockwell picture halloween witch silhouette ... and, above all, we always think that a modern design interpretation of Hari Raya. It 's always good here in Arabic, ketupat pictures there ... for the greener ... Sooooo ... I kinda I met all my clients at this time. And you, dear readers out there in this for free. Tell me what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment